Joshua B. Katz
As an experienced litigator and trial attorney, Josh represents both plaintiffs and defendants in commercial, employment and intellectual property matters. His cases have spanned an array of industries and subjects, including M&A, real estate, hospitality, energy, private equity, swaps and derivatives, ERISA, RICO, and corporate dissolutions. Josh has successfully tried a variety of cases before judges and juries in both state and federal court, as well as various arbitration forums such as the AAA, JAMS, and FINRA. Some of his representative matters include:
- Represented the sellers in a breach of contract dispute over an earn-out provision in an M&A transaction. The clients won a $60 million verdict following a two-week jury trial in New York state court.
- Represented an online advertising business in prosecuting false advertising and defamation claims against a competitor. A federal jury found the competitor liable for ten different defamatory statements and awarded punitive damages.
- Represented a leading manufacturer of OTC pharmaceuticals and cosmetics in a breach of contract case involving TV advertising air time. A federal jury awarded the client more than $16 million in damages and rejected all counterclaims asserted against the client.
- Represented management team of private equity firm sued by co-founders for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty. Obtained a key summary judgment ruling resulting in a very favorable settlement.
- Represented manufacturer of dental products in trademark case brought by a much larger competitor with a long streak of successful trademark litigation in their industry. After the trial judge ruled in favor of the competitor, Josh successfully argued on appeal before the Second Circuit that the competitor’s trademark was invalid because it was functional.
Josh has also represented a wide variety of pro bono clients in litigations over prisoners’ rights, disability rights, and employment matters. Josh lives in Manhattan with his wife, dog and two cats.