Alex is a general commercial litigator and business counselor with over a dozen years of experience representing clients in business disputes, as well as employment, professional liability and transactional matters. He has served as lead counsel on a number of complex and high profile matters, and he has successfully resolved such claims on behalf of prominent individuals, closely held businesses, and multinational public companies. Alex also serves as outside general counsel to a wide variety of businesses and has helped guide them through critical phases of their lifecycle from formation to dissolution.
While Alex represents clients from an array of industries, he devotes a significant portion of his practice to representing clients within the hospitality and food and beverage space in connection with both disputes and general business matters. His clients in this area have included Michelin-starred chefs, restaurant groups, investors, importers and a whole host of well-known food and beverage brands.
In addition to his general commercial practice, Alex also has particular expertise in legal and accounting malpractice and other professional liability matters and has both prosecuted and defended dozens of such claims.
Alex has been recognized as a “Rising Star” in the area of business litigation by Super Lawyers Magazine for the past six years in a row.
Some of Alex’s representative litigation matters while at KBG include:
- Representing a Michelin-starred chef in connection with the defense of a breach of contract claim brought by a restaurant group. The client won a pre-answer motion to dismiss the claims with prejudice.
- Representing the sellers in the then-largest residential property transaction in the United States in a breach of contract action against The Corcoran Group relating to brokerage commissions purportedly due in connection with the sale. The clients won summary judgment after more than five years of litigation.
- Representing a Czech businessman in a federal civil RICO action seeking more than $1 billion in damages in connection with an alleged conspiracy to secretly acquire a controlling share of a major Luxembourg-based commercial real estate development company. The client won pre-answer dismissal in the SDNY, which was later affirmed by the Second Circuit.
- Representing a Michelin-starred chef in connection with breach of contract and breach of fiduciary claims brought against the chef’s former partners in a restaurant venture. The client won a key summary judgment motion resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Representing a manufacturer of beauty products in litigation related to a dispute over a licensing and celebrity endorsement deal with a global superstar.
- Representing personal injury attorneys in connection with a high profile law firm dissolution and related litigation.
- Representing a leading surgical group in connection with an AAA arbitration related to a partnership dispute with their former partners.
After graduating magna cum laude from Syracuse University College of Law as Executive Editor of the Syracuse Law Review, Alex began his career as an associate at a major global law firm. He also spent one year serving as a law clerk extern to the Hon. Frederick J. Scullin, Jr. of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York and the Hon. Marian W. Payson of the U.S. District Court, Western District of New York.
Alex lives in Brooklyn Heights with his wife and two sons. He is originally from Rochester, NY and is a rabid Buffalo Bills fan. He is a member of the Wine & Food Society of New York and the New York chapter of The American Inn of Courts, where he's been an active participant in the Wine & The Law program.